Great leadership rarely occurs, by accident! After, over four decades of involvement, in, nearly all aspects, related to, and needed for, effective leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, development, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, I strongly, believe, it takes the right combination of skills, assets, attitude, experience, and expertise, used properly, to become that leader, who is capable of making a difference, for the better, and serving/ representing, his organization and stakeholders, as they should be served, and deserve! In addition to those attributes, the best results occur, when the individual, either, elected, selected, and/ or, who ascends to a specific position, is capable of being, a CLEVER leader! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what that means and represents/ demands, and why it matters.
1. Caring; character; creative; compelling; consider choices; cooperative: How can anyone, be this type of leader, unless/ until, that individual is, truly, caring, and considerate? One needs the actual, quality of character, which others, are attracted to, and find compelling! Instead of, merely, considering the same – old, same – old, it is essential to proceed, in a creative way, in order to consider the choices, and opt, for the best – suited, ones! Perhaps, most importantly, this person, must be, consistently, cooperative, and seek, a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good!
2. Listen; learn; leadership: Instead of being the dominant orator, great leaders, emphasize, effectively, listening, and consistently, learning, as much, as possible, from every conversation, and experience! Shouldn’t this be the essence of meaningful leadership?
3. Excellence; efforts; empathy: Real leaders never accept, good – enough, but, rather, demand their utmost degree of genuine empathy! He focuses his efforts, and emphasis, on proceeding, consistently, based on empathetic concerns, and priorities/ perceptions!
4. Virtues; views; vision: If, you want to become a real leader, ask yourself, if you, are willing to proceed, with the necessary virtues, of leading? Do your views, align, with Clever the goals, perceptions, needs, and priorities, of your stakeholders, and the mission of your organization? What makes your vital vision, a vibrant and compelling one?
5. Endurance; enrich: Since, there are always, obstacles, thrown in one’s path, will you have the endurance to consider these, as challenges to overcome, and, emphasize, the best way, to enrich, your constituents, and group?
6. Relevant; reliable; realistic; rationale: While leaders must proceed, with a positive, can – do, attitude, to make a true difference, for the better, one must ensure, he is realistic, instead of wearing, rose – colored, glasses! One must align this, with, proceeding, in a relevant way, being perceived as reliable, and responsive, and able to inspire and motivate others, by the way, he articulates his rationale!